Traill County Veterans Service Office



Ambulance Emergency & Rescue Car Red Cross Embroidered by DIYMINT


Question (1): How does the Compact Care help Veterans?

Answer: Section 201 of COMPACT Act states that the VA will provide, pay for and reimburse any emergent suicide treatment for eligible individuals at VA medical facilities and at non-VA facilities. The VA will ensure eligible Veterans are not financially responsible for costs associated with emergent suicide care, including emergency transportation.

Question (2): What is Emergent Suicide Treatment?

Answer: Emergent Suicide Treatment includes inpatient or crisis residential care for no more than 30 days and/or outpatient medical and mental healthcare for no more than 90 days. If the individual remains in acute suicidal crisis, extensions may be provided. Each new crisis is a new episode of eligibility.

Question (3): How can I know if I am Eligible for Compact Care?

Answer: Call 1-844-724-7842 to establish eligibility.

  • Former members of the armed forces who were discharged or released from active duty after more than 24 months of active service under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former members of the armed forces, including reserve service members, who served more than 100 days under a combat exclusion or in support of a contingency operation either directly or by operating an unmanned aerial vehicle from another location who were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
  • Former members of the armed forces who were the victim of a physical assault of a sexual nature, a battery of a sexual nature, or sexual harassment while serving in the armed forces.

Question (4): Does the local ER need an agreement with the VA to be paid for Compact Care?

Answer: No. Compact Care does not require an existing contract or agreement between the VA and a local community emergency department. Veterans are encouraged to immediately seek care at the nearest emergency department during a medical or mental health emergency.

Question (5): What should I do after receiving Compact Care at my local ER?

Answer: All mental health care should be reported to the VA as soon as possible by calling 1-844-724-7842. Veterans should submit a signed, written request for reimbursement to their local VA Medical Center Community Care Office along with an after-visit summary and a billing statement from the rendering provider showing the diagnosis code information and an itemized list of charges. 

%d bloggers like this: