QUESTION: Have you devoted your life to serving others?
ANSWER: There are approximately two million Women Veterans, making up 10% of the total Veteran population. Many have devoted their lives to serving others while enduring significant barriers and challenges. Women Veterans are not only overlooked by those around them, but frequently struggle to consider themselves as Veterans.
QUESTION: What percentage of Women Veterans do we have in Traill County?
ANSWER: According to the 2021 National Center for Veterans Analysis & Statistics, it is estimated that 7% of the Veterans in Traill County are female and 93% are male. Additional Traill County demographics include 45% of the Veteran population in Traill County is over the age of 65 and 53% of the Veteran population in Traill County is under the age of 65.
QUESTION: What is Traill County doing to honor the Women Veterans in our community who have devoted their lives to serving others?
ANSWER: Every year the Traill County VSO hosts a Blue Christmas Remembrance Service to honor our beloved Veterans. This Holiday Remembrance Service will be held on Thursday, December 7th, 2023, at 7:00pm at the Portland Senior Center. Everyone is welcome to attend.
QUESTION: Who are the 3 Women that Traill County will be honoring at the 2023 Veterans Remembrance Service?
ANSWER: In December 2023, we will be honoring 3 extraordinary Women from Traill County that have devoted their lives to serving others. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”
(1) Cheryl Rose Engel- She was born and raised in Hatton, ND. At the age of 18 she joined the Air Force and was stationed in Sacramento, CA. Cheryl passed away at the age of 83, on March 20th, 2023. We are forever grateful for her sacrifice.
(2) Frances Marie Lee- She was born and raised in the rural Portland, ND area. Early in her life, she enlisted in the U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps. The United States Cadet Nurse Corps was authorized by the U.S. Congress on June 15,1943 and signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The purpose of the law was to help alleviate the nursing shortage that existed before and during World War II. Frances passed away at the age of 95, on January 6th , 2023. We are forever grateful for her sacrifice.
(3)Clare Mary Scholand- She was born and raised in Reynolds, ND. She enlisted in the U.S Army Nurse Corps and was stationed at the Fitzsimmons General Hospital in Denver, CO. Clare passed away at the age of 100, on January 5th, 2023. We are forever grateful for her sacrifice.
QUESTION: What Resources are available for Women Veterans in Traill County?
ANSWER: The Center for Women Veterans’ (CWV) monitors and coordinates the VA’s administration of health care, benefits, services, and programs for Women Veterans. They serve as an advocate for and raise awareness of the responsibility to treat Women Veterans with dignity and respect.
- National Women Veterans Call Center at 1-855-829-6636.
- Women Veterans Program in Fargo at 701-239-3700 extension 3893 or 3503.
- VA Advocate 701-239-3700 extension 3738.