Home » Posts tagged 'Nursing Home Alternative'
Tag Archives: Nursing Home Alternative
MEDICAL FOSTER HOMES FOR VETERANS
QUESTION: WHAT IS A SAFE ALTERNATIVE TO NURSING HOME CARE?
Medical Foster Homes are private homes in which a trained caregiver provides a safe and supportive long-term care for Veterans. This is an alternative to nursing home and assisted living care. It may be appropriate for Veterans who require nursing home care but prefer a non-institutional setting with fewer residents. The VA inspects and approves all Medical Foster Homes.
The Medical Foster Home program partners with people in the community who have caregiving experience and who have room in their homes to take in up to three Veterans and provide their daily care including 24-hour supervision, meals, laundry, med management, and personal care assistance. VA Home Based Primary Care provides medical oversight via visits from a skilled team of professionals.
The cost for care is determined based on the Veteran’s care needs. Care is paid via private pay, potential VA Regional Office funding, and/or county waiver funding if the Veteran is eligible for Medical Assistance. On Thursday December 29, 2022, President Biden signed into law H.R. 2617. Part of this bill includes payment for VA Medical Foster Home for Veterans who are eligible for VA paid long term care.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE MEDICAL FOSTER
HOME (MFH) PROGRAM?:
- Personal care in a private home for eligible Veterans with complex chronic disabling disease or condition(s) who meet nursing home level of care.
- Veterans are cared for in a safe and therapeutic environment, improving their quality of life.
- Provides health care in a home setting, including end-of-life care.
- Is an alternative to living alone by providing quality long-term care and companionship.
- No more than three residents receive care in the home.
- Gives Veterans the option to remain in a family setting.
- Offers personalized care in the community.
- Meets the increasing demand for long-term care services through care in a non-institutional setting.
- Offers access to Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC) or Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Home Care Services.
WHAT IS THE MEDICAL FOSTER HOME ENVIRONMENT LIKE?
- A furnished, private room
- 24-hour care and supervision
- Choice of Medical Foster Home placement and location
- Stable loving home
- Safeguards against abuse
- Signed agreement between MFH caregiver and patient, family
- Pets are possible
- Assistance with daily care, transportation to appointments, and medication
WHO SHOULD I CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?
VA Coordinator Kristin Swenson can help you decide if a Medical Foster Home is a good alternative for you or someone you love.
Contact: Kristin Swenson- Coordinator
Fargo VA Health Care System
2101 N Elm St
Fargo, ND 58102
701-232-3241 ext. 3940